January 1, 2015

Year in Review: 2014

2014 has been a year of ups and downs here at The Shy Stylist. I hit 1,000 followers on Twitter, finally jumped on the Instagram bandwagon, and picked up a couple really great new personal shopping clients. I also didn’t have a lot of time to get posts shot, as I’m sure you’ve noticed. I have a backlog of copy, but no accompanying pictures (which would make for a pretty boring style blog). Looking forward to 2015, I am contemplating new avenues to explore while sticking to my philosophy that style is both personal and timeless.

As with every New Year’s Day, I wanted to share (in no particular order) my favorite looks from the previous year. Despite the number of posts being embarrassingly low in 2014, I put together some of my favorite posts, so I think it balances out. If you want to check out the post in it’s entirety, just click the title.


Jacket by Scott James; Trousers by Express Studio; Sweater by Nautica;
Shirt by Uniqlo; Shoes by Johnston & Murphy; Tie by Penguin;
Pocket Square by Giorgio Armani; Gloves (in pocket) by French Connection

I like this look for its simplicity while also being very visually interesting. This was also one of my favorite posts content-wise because it showed that you can stand out while still sticking to classic tailored pieces.


Suit, pocket square, and belt by Ted Baker; Shirt by Charles Tyrwhitt;
Shoes by AllSaints; Tie by Alexander McQueen; Tie bar by Link Up;
Laces by Allen Edmonds

This look sort of came together on its own, as I happened upon the perfect pieces to fit the wedding’s Midsummer Night’s Dream theme. It also didn’t hurt that I have an affinity for purple. Another thing that I like about this post is that the wedding I attended was beautiful and I get to remember the weekend every time I look at it.


Jacket with pocket square by Ted Baker; Trousers by Fink Clothing; Vest by
J.Crew; Shirt by Ben Sherman; Boots by Ugg Australia; Tie by Paul Smith
 Gloves by French Connection

I love this entire ensemble, particularly because of how lucky I was to piece together what, for all intents and purposes, is a 3-piece suit from separates acquired over the last decade.


Jacket by AllSaints; Trousers by Nautica; Vest by Umit Benan; Shirt by Uniqlo;
Tie and scarf by Psycho Bunny; Shoes by Salvatore Ferragamo; Socks by Corgi 

I just think this outfit is fun, but in a subtle way. The subdued hues in the striped pants and the plaid vest are a great contrast to the colorful socks. I always love mixing patterns and I think people should be less afraid to experiment. After all, it’s only clothes.


Car coat by The Man's Shop at Lord & Taylor; Sweater & watch by Nautica;
Shirt by Barney's New York; Denim and tote by AllSaints; Boots by John
 Varvatos; Tie by Penguin; Scarf by Tallia; Sunglasses by Marc by Marc Jacobs

What I like most about this look and post is that it conveys the idea that vintage pieces can still be stylish and modern. Sure, there are a lot of really dated items that should be avoided (I’m looking at you 80’s shoulder pads…), but classic silhouettes are truly timeless and can easily be brought into the 21st century.

Thanks for reading and helping the site have it’s best year ever!

Have a stylish 2015 and keep the emails and comments coming!

- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment