Pages

January 1, 2014

Year In Review: 2013

This past year was another crazy one, both for me and for The Shy Stylist. So many new opportunities presented themselves and hopefully I’ll have more to share with you in 2014! The downside to how busy I found myself is that I didn’t get nearly as much content posted as I had hoped and planned to. With this post to kick off the new year, I’m going to make a concerted effort to post more regularly and consistently.

My DIY series has produced some of my most popular posts, so expect to see more of that. If there is a DIY project you want me to tackle, shoot me an email at shystylistblog@gmail.com and maybe you’ll see it on the blog! There will also be lots more Style Features to help inspire your own looks this coming year and of course I’ll have some In Review and Favorite Finds posts to share some new and cool things with you.

As has become my new year’s tradition, in no particular order, here are my five favorite looks from 2013. And if you want to check out the original post, just click the title.


Boots by L.L. Bean; Jacket by C'N'C Costume National; Sweater by Ben Sherman;
Shirt by Nautica; Chinos by Gant Rugger; Belt from Gap;
Pocket square by Thomas Pink; Sunglasses by Bulgari

What I love about this look is that it shows some of the versatility that a utilitarian piece, like L.L. Bean’s Bean Boot can have.


Sweater by Rag & Bone for Neiman Marcus & Target; Shirt by Uniqlo;
Cords by Gant Rugger; Boots by AllSaints Spitalfields;
Tie by Band of Outsiders; Tie bar by Link Up; Sunglasses by Bulgari

I think one of the reasons I liked this shoot so much is because I got to wear some of my favorite pieces all at once, and it looked good. Don’t be afraid of mixing textures and patterns, the right combination can really set you apart.


Jacket by Ted Baker; Trousers by Fink Clothing; Shirt by Uniqlo; Shoes by AllSaints;
Bow tie by Liberty London; Tux scarf by Dior; Pocket square by Salvatore Ferragamo;
Socks by Tom Ford; Laces by Allen Edmonds; Watch by Bulova

This post was just fun. I like getting dressed up, but rarely get the occasion to wear my tux scarf. The list is pretty much limited to formal galas, opening night of the opera, and fancy New Year’s Eve parties, so I will take any excuse I can get. This look was also a great example of having a look come together almost on it’s own. I’ve had the pants for years, so when I brought home the jacket and found that it matched almost perfectly, I was super excited!


Jacket and bag by AllSaints; Shirt and cords by Gant Rugger; Boots by John Varvatos;
Scarf by rag & bone; Watch by Nautica; Sunglasses by Marc by Marc Jacobs

This was an easy one to shoot because sometimes an outfit just comes together and colors play perfectly against each other. This whole post challenged me a little though because most people have seasonal outfits, so finding stylish ways to mix seasons took some creativity, but a well-curated wardrobe definitely helps.


Jacket, shirt, pants, shoes, pocket square, & lapel pin by Ted Baker;
Sunglasses by Marc by Marc Jacobs

I like doing head-to-toe posts because it makes me take a fresh look at my wardrobe. More often than not, a label with a clear design aesthetic will do most of the work for you. Pieces from different seasons and years apart will complement each other like they were sent down the runway together. Ted Baker is also one of my favorite labels because not only do the pieces have fun design quirks, but their jackets are some of the few that fit me well without any alterations needed.


Denim vest by Levis (customized); Leather jacket from thrift (customized);
Time Again band tee; Denim by Kill City; Boots by Altama; Hat from thrift;
Bandana, studded belts, leather bracelet from unknown/unbranded

I wanted to include this bonus look because I just really like it. I spent hours making this vest and years wearing it, so I'm glad that I got to share it on the blog.

I hope you all had a great 2013 and that 2014 is even better! I love getting your emails, so keep them coming!

Have a stylish new year,

- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment