Pages

December 28, 2013

Dressing for the Occasion: New Year’s Eve Party


The new year is right around the corner, and for most people that means a New Year’s Eve party. Don’t just show up in your de rigueur ‘night out’ clothes. New Year’s Eve parties are the perfect excuse to go all out and count down to midnight in style.


Obviously if you are going to a super swanky event, black tie is probably a requirement. But what if you are hanging out at a bar or watching the countdown at a friend’s party? I like to take some of that classic black tie look and put a twist on it. Black tie inspired, if you will.


The shawl collar on this jacket is reminiscent of what you might find on a tux jacket, but the heavy grey wool and knit collar make it feel more rugged but still refined. Even though this isn’t a suit, the pants are close enough in shade and texture that it works. Throw on a crisp white shirt and you have a classic base on which to build your accessories.

Extra Tip : This shirt was a little too crisp. I normally don’t have my shirts starched at all, but for some reason the dry cleaner went a little crazy and decided this one really needed it. Don’t be afraid to give clear instructions about what you do and don’t want when you drop pieces off at the cleaner.


In another nod to formalwear, I opted for a bow tie. Rather than plain black though, I went with a lightly patterned option that played against the greys and blacks in the rest of my pieces. Another reason for the bow tie was that with the high button stance on the jacket, I wanted to make sure the shirt popped.


For the pocket square, it’s hard to go wrong with a simple silk piece. A stiffer material always feels more appropriate to me for more formal events, especially when the weather is cold. As for the tux scarf, it’s simple. It’s a fun accessory that there is rarely an appropriate occasion to wear it for. Not only is it stylish, but it is also classic, and goes the extra step to tying the look together.


With black tie, patent leather shoes would be the norm. The patent cap toe on these allows for the inspiration to come through without being overwhelming and the colored laces introduce just a bit of whimsy (it is a party after all!). Since the shoes are a statement themselves, I chose to keep the socks a little more classic. It was also really cold that day and cashmere seemed like a good idea.

Jacket by Ted Baker; Trousers by Fink Clothing; Shirt by Uniqlo;
Shoes by AllSaints; Bow tie by Liberty London; Tux scarf by Dior;
Pocket square by Salvatore Ferragamo; Socks by Tom Ford;
Laces by Allen Edmonds; Watch by Bulova

Extra Tip : Shoes with interesting details are always something to be on the lookout for because it’s the little things that can really set an outfit apart.

Personally, I would always prefer to be overdressed than not, so this look would suit me for pretty much any New Year’s Eve shindig that I might be attending. I think of it as an homage to decades past, when men wore suits on a daily basis and black tie was considered semi-formal attire. People say dress for the job you want, so why not dress for the kind of year you want?

Have a stylish new year!
- JJ

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog! So glad I came across this! Where do you purchase Fink clothing?!?! I have a pair that I got at Urban Outfitters years ago and they were the best wool pants ever but I've lost a ton of weight and they no longer fit! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the question and your support! I got the pants in this post from Urban a few years ago as well. From all the research I have done into the brand, the only conclusion I can draw is that they are defunct.

      Depending on just how big on you your current pair is, a good tailor might be able to take them in for much less than you might think. Orvis gets a very similar pair in every so often (I've seen it in two different years) and Uniqlo had a similar fit and look in their most recent winter collection though a much lighter weight fabric.

      Hope that helped you out a little bit. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

      Thanks for reading!
      - JJ

      Delete