September 15, 2013

Favorite Finds: Jack Spade Drummond Tweed Oxford Sport Shirt


I am always on the lookout for interesting pieces to share with you for my Favorite Finds posts, and this Drummond Tweed Oxford Sport Shirt by Jack Spade definitely fits the bill. It combines subtle but unique fabrication with classic design aspects into a shirt that is not your standard fare.


The specks of color against the traditional blue oxford make for a shirt that stands out from the crowd but in a much more subtle way than a bright color or bold pattern. It is something that isn’t frequently seen, which helps make this shirt different.


The other feature that sets this shirt apart, and the one that initially grabbed my attention, is the club collar. While they aren’t for everyone (particularly those with a round face) and aren’t widely available, I really like club collars for just that reason. With their storied academic history, they are a classic addition to any wardrobe.


Another little detail, though it may be inconsequential, is the label for your name on the inside of the shirt placket. It’s little things like this that add to the value and make the shirt more unique.



The Drummond Tweed Oxford is listed as a slim fit, which I am usually wary of, but I found that in a Medium I still had enough range of motion to keep it comfortable without looking sloppy. I did feel that there was a little too much excess fabric in the upper arms, especially since this shirt is billed as being slim fit.


If you are shopping for this shirt online, the description of the content is a bit misleading. Bloomingdale’s lists it as being a cotton/polyester blend, and while this is technically true, there is only 0.5% polyester in the shirt which is not really enough to make it wear any differently than a traditional cotton oxford.


As with most oxford shirts, this one is machine wash cold, tumble dry low, warm iron if necessary or dry clean. At $175, the price may seem a little high but the unique details on this shirt make it, in my opinion, worth the price. Though I don’t own any Jack Spade clothing (yet), all the pieces that I’ve looked at seem to be pretty well made. If there wasn’t a self-imposed moratorium on buying shirts and blazers in place right now, I would definitely consider adding this shirt to my closet.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment