August 23, 2013

Style Feature: The Summer Vacation Wardrobe


Summer vacations often require different considerations when packing than any other time of the year. Unlike my itinerary while shooting last year’s Vacation Wardrobe post, I had no business to attend to and I wasn’t staying in a metro area, so I was able to pack a little more casually (and get a chance to do some real relaxing).


This is everything that I packed for a 7-day vacation (excluding undergarments and my dopp kit). I spent the week next to the water and, when I packed, the forecast predicted highs in the mid-80s, so I brought two pairs of shorts (the dark teal and plaid pieces next to the shoes), a tee, and a straw hat that didn't get used. Mother nature had other plans and upon arrival a cold front blew in which resulted in temperatures in the upper 60s with occasional showers. This threw a wrench in my planned outfits but proved to be an interesting challenge on how to adapt for unexpected weather while still keeping my looks fresh.

Day 1

Shirt by J.Crew; Denim by PPD; Shoes by Timberland; Watch by Bulova;
Umbrella by Burberry

Since I drove, I didn’t feel the need to layer and since I didn’t expect rain I didn’t bring a jacket. Anytime I’m driving for long distances, I dress primarily for comfort. The jeans have a little stretch, the lightweight madras shirt is breathable, and the shoes are super comfortable. Perfect for a 4 hour drive (that turned into 7 hours due to a combination of an unexpected detour and some unplanned sightseeing).

Extra Tip : Always keep your GPS maps up to date.

Day 2

Shirt by Gant Rugger; Denim by AllSaints; Boat shoes by Timberland;
Sunglasses by Marc by Marc Jacobs; Watch by Bulova;
Vintage silver bracelet

With warm weather in the forecast, I packed a second madras shirt. Despite the cooler temps that actually arrived, it still came in handy on a day when I was walking around all afternoon in the sun.

Day 3

Shirt by Gant by Michael Bastian; Denim by PPD; Shoes by Timberland;
Scarf by rag & bone; Sunglasses by Marc by Marc Jacobs;
Watch by Bulova; Vintage silver bracelet

This shirt is a nice light weight and the color and stripes help brighten up the darker pants. I chose neutrals for both pants on this trip because they’ll go with anything I brought, giving me more freedom to change up my outfits based on the day’s activities.

Extra Tip : A lightweight scarf is a great accessory. You can casually drape it on warm afternoons and wrap it tighter for those cool evenings out.

Day 4

Sweater by Wallace & Barnes for J.Crew; Shirt by J.Crew;
Denim by AllSaints; Boots by Timberland; Tote by Gant;
Sunglasses by Marc by Marc Jacobs; Watch by Bulova;
Vintage silver bracelet

Since the weather was cooler than expected, layering one of my madras shirts under a light loose knit sweater was the perfect combination to keep me warm without overheating at the peak of the afternoon sun and the colorful plaid is a great peek-a-boo from beneath the solid color of the sweater.

Extra Tip :  A seasonal tote is great for vacation. You can go out for the day without having to keep stopping off at your hotel.

Day 5

Shirt by J.Crew; Denim by AllSaints; Boots by Timberland;
Scarf by rag & bone; Umbrella by Burberry; Watch by Bulova;
Bracelets from Made With Love Project

I like to wear saturated colors on rainy days. To draw inspiration from The Temptations, it brightens things up on a cloudy day.

Extra Tip : Maybe it’s from living in Florida but I always carry an umbrella, especially on vacation when getting soaked in a storm would definitely put a damper on a day.

Day 6

Sweater by Wallace & Barnes for J.Crew; Shirt by Gant by Michael Bastian;
Denim by AllSaints; Shoes by Timberland; Watch by Bulova;
Vintage silver bracelet; Umbrella by Tumi

Choosing garments with surprise details (like the contrasting plaid under the cuffs) is a great way to double wear a shirt without looking exactly the same. I wore this one before on its own for Day 2, and again now, but this time adding a sweater and exposing the plaid cuffs for a different style.

Day 7

Shirt by Gant Rugger; Denim by PPD; Shoes by Timberland;
Watch by Bulova; Vintage silver bracelet; Duffel bag by Odin for Target;
Leather tote by AllSaints

Back in the car again, so this time I opted for my other comfortable madras shirt, with the same pants and sneakers.

The key to packing for a vacation is to keep it light while still giving yourself the opportunity to mix it up. Consider your planned activities, any dinners or events, and the location. Packing for a trip to LA is very different than packing for a trip to coastal New England or Miami.

What are some of your favorite pieces for summer vacation?

Stay stylish,
- JJ

2 comments:

  1. Great trick in doubling up the Gant shirt for two different looks on two different days. Looks like you were up in Salem. Too and you didn't have better weather.
    Regards,

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in Salem, good catch! I actually prefer the cooler weather and the rain never got too bad. I wish I had been able to pack appropriately, but sometime you just have to work with what you got. Thanks for reading!

      -JJ

      Delete