August 19, 2013

Favorite Finds: Billy Reid Walton Sport Jacket


As soon as there’s a dip in the temperature I start looking towards fall. I love layering and I really love sport jackets. This Grey Fleck Walton sport jacket by Billy Reid is the perfect piece for those early fall evenings and, if layered properly, its refined ruggedness could easily carry you through the end of the year.


At first glance, this jacket seems to be your standard wool tweed, but the second you touch it, it’s clear that there is nothing standard about it. The lightness of the silk/linen blend is immediately apparent and the fit is fantastic.


The Billy Reid website describes it as the trimmest and shortest fit and recommends sizing up if in doubt. While it is definitely slim, and I have broad shoulders, I found that a 40R fit me perfectly. There is enough room in the chest to not feel restrictive and the nip at the waist keeps a nice clean line.


This is a three button rolled lapel jacket that is fully lined and impeccably detailed. The lining itself is so thin it's almost sheer, making this a much lighter option than other fully lined pieces out there. It also has a dual back vent, a 2.5” notched lapel, and natural bone buttons. 


The patch pockets at the hip feature an inverted pleat for extra storage (and visual appeal) while the single-welt chest pocket maintains a clean silhouette. If you get a little cold and need to pop your collar, the Heirloom striped under collar will keep you stylish.


Made in Italy, the specific fabrication is 64% Silk/36% Linen with a Cotton/Cupro body lining and, of course, it’s dry clean only. The price is $695, but before you get sticker shock, take all of the work and detailing into account.


I haven’t had that much exposure to Billy Reid, but if this jacket is any indication, I need to start paying them closer attention. I love this jacket, and if I had a bigger closet (and bank account) I would own it without a second thought.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment