Pages

July 20, 2013

Favorite Finds: J.Crew Slim Vintage Oxford


I’ve always liked J.Crew. When I was developing my style from t-shirts to wovens, they were one of the first brands I found that fit me well in the shoulders and chest (which is always my problem area).

As I discovered other designers, I strayed away from J.Crew for wovens because even though they fit me great in the shoulders, the arms always felt really big and the body sometimes seemed a little too blousy. So when I wandered in to their Rockefeller Center store a few weeks ago and saw that they had introduced a slim shirt, I decided to give it a try and I’m really glad I did.


All of my previous issues are resolved in this Slim Vintage Oxford Shirt. The body is a bit trimmer in the chest, but more so in the waist, and the sleeves have been slimmed down a lot. That said, it is still an American cut, so I would call this more of a tailored fit. It is nowhere near as slim as Marc Jacobs’ Shrunken Fit or most European labels’ slim/skinny fits (none of which I can wear).


The design is pretty standard, with a single chest pocket and button-down collar. This particular oxford shirt though is woven with two colored yarns, which results in a much more saturated cloth making the colors pop even more.


J.Crew’s website offers the shirt in 7 colors (I chose havana blue) and though it says that it is online only, I found it in at least two retail stores here in NYC. Maybe it is only available in select locations, but I know it was there because it is currently in my closet.


At $69.50, this is a reasonably priced shirt considering the impeccable fit and what seems to be pretty good quality. It is 100% cotton and machine washable/tumble dry low. I have washed mine a couple times now and haven’t experienced any color bleed or fading. This shirt is also available in their regular fit for the same price and tall sizes in a much more limited color assortment for $5 more.


When I walked in to J.Crew, I had absolutely no intention of buying another shirt, as evidenced by the poorly lit phone pics. My tiny closet was already busting with the dozens that I already owned, but the stunning color combined with the incredible fit just proved too irresistible (the introductory sale for new arrivals didn’t hurt either, but it wasn’t the deciding factor). As you can see, I'm a big fan of this shirt, since I've already featured it in the final look of this post.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment