April 29, 2013

Favorite Finds: Marc by Marc Jacobs Navigator Sunglasses


I have never been a fan of the aviator/navigator family of sunglasses. Objectively I think they can be pretty cool on a lot of people, but can very easily cross the line into looking like a douche. They never really look good on me because they are always either too big or too wide for my face. That is until I happened upon these Marc by Marc Jacobs Navigator Sunglasses.


What I like about navigators over aviators is the squared off lenses and usually smaller profile. No matter the style, when shopping for sunglasses it is incredibly important to try them on because you never know how a pair will look on you. When I first tried these on, I was a little hesitant. I have tried so many pairs on and never liked any of them, but after a little while looking in the mirror (and a second opinion) they started to grow on me.


It took me about 4 months of stalking them every time I went to Bloomingdales (which was far more than I care to admit) before I finally made the purchase and, if I’m completely honest, my main impetus to buy was mostly because the nose pad on another pair of my sunglasses broke and I was putting off taking them in for repair (or at least that is what I told myself). I have noticed that stalking accessories that I really like for months on end is becoming a theme, but that is for another post.


These glasses in particular stood out to me because they have that unique twist that makes Marc Jacobs’ pieces stand out. The stripes on the side of the stems give this pair a little bit of fun in what is usually a more serious style of glasses. They have the versatility to be appropriate for both business and casual occasions, which most of my other sunglasses do not.


I couldn't find them for sale on the Marc Jacobs site, but Bloomingdales sells them in three colors – Light Gold, Ruthenium, and Shiny Black. I went with the Ruthenium, which is like a gunmetal with bluish gradated lenses. The Light Gold comes with the classic brown lenses and the Shiny Black has grey ones.


Both the inside and outside of the stems as well as the edge of the left lens are engraved with ‘Marc by Marc Jacobs’ but not in an ostentatious way. It is subtle details like this that really add to the value. One of the best things about these sunglasses though, is the price. At only $98, they feel like they are going to turn out to be a fantastic deal. I tend to take really good care of my glasses (the ones that the nose pad broke on are 7 years old) and these navigators feel a lot sturdier than some that I’ve tried on with a price tag of $400+.


All in all, I am extremely happy with my purchase and would highly recommend these as an option to anyone in the market for some new specs. It will take a while to see how well they hold up to time and use, but if they make it a year I will consider it a worthwhile investment (though I suspect they'll make it quite a bit longer).

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment