Pages

March 17, 2013

Favorite Finds: Gant by MB Seersucker Woven


Normally I’m not a fan of seersucker, a fact that I attribute to plentiful run-ins with ill-fitting blue and white examples while living in Miami. When I saw this white on white seersucker woven, dubbed The Seersucker, from the S/S Gant by Michael Bastian Exploration: Galapagos collection I was intrigued enough to try it on.


I really like Gant, particularly their Rugger line, but this is actually the first piece from the Gant by Michael Bastian line that I have tried on. For some reason I had the notion that it would be a much slimmer cut, more European than American, and so I always shied away from giving it a shot.


I tried on a Medium and was pleasantly surprised. The fit falls in between Gant Rugger’s regular and Hugger fits. The shoulders hit exactly right and though it was snug, the box pleat in the back provides enough range of motion to be comfortable.


The button down collar is a favorite of mine and I like that there is a third button at the center back of the collar. It really helps to keep your collar in place, especially with a stiffer material like seersucker.


There are some nice details featured on this shirt, such as the tonal Gant embroidered on the locker loop. Even though they are no longer practical, I always appreciate a locker loop, not only for the heritage but because anytime a shirt doesn’t have one I always seem to need it.


The shirt that I tried on at Bloomingdales featured a traditional blue and white striped lining on the inside of the cuffs and collar. The Gant website describes their version as having a grey and white stripe, so there is a little variety out there but both provide a nice contrast to break up the all white.


The price is a little steep, $195, but surprisingly not as high as I think it could be. The care instructions are fairly standard, machine wash cold and line dry or professionally dry clean. One thing to note is that, even though it is a white shirt, the variation in color means that you can’t use bleach. Not a huge deal because a good drycleaner can take care of most issues, but something to keep in mind since it is white.


I really like this piece even though I would prefer to avoid both white and seersucker. The fit, quality, and details set it apart from other white seersucker shirts I’ve seen. Personally, I can’t imagine wearing it in NYC but I think it would be perfect in a warm climate, perhaps summer vacation on the beach in Miami.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment