December 29, 2012

Year in Review: 2012

2012 was a whirlwind of a year for me and I am so excited that the blog has grown as much as it has in its first full calendar year! Looking toward 2013, I want to share some of the changes in store as The Shy Stylist continues to evolve and grow. Some series, like The Art of Fit, are nearing their natural conclusion, while others will continue to expand. In Review, for example, is going to be posted more frequently and will begin to include stores, collections, and any other fashion or style related things that I think are worth sharing.

As always, I love hearing from you all and the number of emails I got this year with style questions has been wonderful and I have enjoyed answering every one! If you have a question, comment, or would like to see something featured, email me at shystylistblog@gmail.com. I read every email and will get you a response.

So back to the business at hand. Just like last year, I wanted to take a look back and share my five favorite looks from the last twelve months. There were plenty to choose from, but a few stood out from the pack for me. So here, in no particular order, are my favorite looks of 2012.

1. The Wool Pant

Trousers by Fink Clothing; Shirt by AllSaints Spitalfields;
Down vest by Uniqlo; Shoes by Ted Baker; Scarf by Psycho Bunny;
Sunglasses by Alexander McQueen

I love this look for the way that the colors work together both with each other and with the background. The darker blue of the shoes and the darker grey of the pants help anchor the lighter colors up top.

2. Inspiration: DSquared2

Jacket and Boots by John Varvatos; Sweater by Ben Sherman; Shirt by Vince;
Denim by Juicy Couture; Socks by J Crew; Scarf (women's) from Gap;
Sunglasses by Alexander McQueen

What I love about this look is that it demonstrates that you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to emulate runway looks. Some judicious sale shopping, some luck thrifting, and a good eye can get you some stylish pieces on a budget. The only pieces in this look that I paid retail for were the denim and socks, everything else was either sale or thrifted.


Vest by Alexander McQueen; Jacket by Bamford & Sons; Shirt by Uniqlo;
Chinos by Gant Rugger; Boat shoes by Sebago; Tie by Band of Outsiders;
Pocket square by Psycho Bunny; Belt by Brooks Brothers; Sunglasses by Prada

I find this photo interesting because when taken individually, all of the pieces lend themselves to composing a very dressy ensemble. And while certainly is true, it is easy to see how this look could be taken to a much more casual place with minimal effort in any number of ways. I also love the way that the shadow plaid of the vest and the tie play off each other (detail photo in the original post).


Cords and socks by J Crew; Jacket by Alexander McQueen;
Vest by Umit Benan; Shirt by Charles Tyrwhitt; Shoes by Ted Baker;
Tie by Brooks Brothers Black Fleece; Pocket Square by Dior

This look is one of my favorites because of the pattern mixing, which is one of my favorite ways to make an outfit stand out. Nearly every piece has some sort of pattern and/or texture which I think is just really fun. If you do it right (more on this in an upcoming post) combining different patterns can help take your look to the next level.


Jacket by Artine; Shirt by Uniqlo; Trousers by Sons of Intrigue; Shoes by
AllSaints Spitalfields; Laces by Allen Edmonds; Vintage head scarf
(as pocket square); Tie by Penguin; Tie bar by Link Up; Socks by Corgi;
Scarf by Psycho Bunny; Gloves by French Connection 

This one is pretty simple. Velvet jackets are just awesome. I have always loved velvet jackets, but finding an appropriate occasion to wear one can prove somewhat difficult. What is great about the resurgence of them as a trend is that people won't give you a weird look for wearing velvet in your daily life. Well maybe you will still get some looks, but only because people will be jealous of your style (at least that's the goal).

I would love to hear from you what posts, looks, or details were your favorites this year. What did you like, what didn't you like? What pieces or looks from your own closet are you excited about? Leave a comment or shoot me an email!

Stay stylish in the new year!
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment