Pages

August 2, 2012

Favorite Finds: B/W Plaid Woven


For the last couple years, I have found myself eschewing tees and knit shirts in favor of wovens. As a result, I am constantly on the lookout for pieces that pique my interest. At first glance, there didn’t seem to be anything particularly exceptional about the Continuum sport shirt from Rogan. Upon closer inspection though, this shirt is packed with interesting design and detailing, and it’s made in the USA to boot!


This black and white plaid shirt is a slimmer cut, but not restrictive by any means. I tried on a Medium and it fit great.


The chest pocket is cut slightly asymmetrically with the button off-center and the pattern placed perpendicular which is the most noticeable display of the “intellectual utilitarianism that combines modernism with asymmetrical construction” that Rogan’s website lists as the driving force behind their collections.


What I found really interesting is the diagonal yoke, which is something I’ve never seen before. It is one of those subtle details that makes a garment interesting without being overt.


One of the things I like best about this shirt is the hidden button-down collar. I actually didn’t even notice it until I was adjusting the shirt for the picture. The underside of that diagonal collar seam has been left open a bit to be able to act as a buttonhole. Though it is a little hard to work, it seems easy enough to adapt to.


The inside of the collar, yoke, and cuffs are faced with black for a nice contrast.


I usually don’t include photos of care tags because they are usually incredibly uninteresting, but these have enough whimsy that I felt they were worth sharing.


This piece isn’t up on Rogan’s website yet, and Nordstrom’s site lists it as available for preorder. I admit, $230 is pretty pricy for a woven, but in my opinion the design, detailing, and made in the USA construction (not to mention supporting a local NYC company) make this piece worth the price. I view clothing as an investment and this is definitely a piece I would invest in.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment