Pages

June 12, 2012

Favorite Finds: Shorts Suit


For this Favorite Finds, I wanted to do something a little different, maybe step outside of my comfort zone a bit. I certainly didn’t expect to find a hot pink shorts suit, let alone actually really like it, but Marc by Marc Jacobs can always be depended upon for fun and functional pieces.


The Harvey Twill group is a SS12 offering from MbyMJ’s men’s RTW line. Since I clearly didn’t dress to try on a hot pink suit, here’s a shot from the runway that is styled a little better.


So this is actually sold as two separate pieces, and as you can see above, there are pants available if you wanted to go a little more traditional (though it is still hot pink). The color I tried on is called Very Fuschia, but it is available in other colors.


The jacket is a Shrunken Fit, which normally doesn’t work so well for me, but I tried on a Medium and it actually fit me quite well. It is slightly cropped, being a little shorter than a blazer, but not excessively so, and the button stance felt just a little on the high side.


It is 100% cotton and is half-lined in Cupro. I found Cupro to be a fantastic choice, and one that I rarely ever see. It’s a semi-synthetic fiber that offers the breathability of cotton that you don’t get from synthetic linings, and it feels fantastic. It is dry clean only, but that is to be expected with a blazer.


There are some really nice details like functional cuff buttons and patch pockets with visible pick stitching.  One surprising thing was that the lapel hole appeared to be fake, which I found odd given that the cuff buttons are real.


The price isn’t bad at $398 and if I didn’t already have a few dozen blazers and a lack of closet space, I would have been hard-pressed not to leave the store with it. The sales associate I talked with said that it was selling incredibly fast, so online might be your best bet. I know saks.com still has some in stock.


The shorts are flat front with about a 6” inseam and, like the jacket, are 100% cotton. They are a classic fit and a 32 fit well, but was a little on the snug side. I would probably buy a 34 and have them taken in a little.


There are some more really great details on them like the front change pocket and the diagonal seams above the back pockets. While both back pockets are buttoned, the left one features a flap, giving them an asymmetrical look.


At $198, they are a little on the pricy side for some cotton shorts, especially ones that are dry clean only. You can likely find them in stores, but they are available on bloomingdales.com (the jacket is not). On their own, I think they are still a great pair of shorts, but paired with the jacket they make a really unique outfit.


The store did not have the pants when I went (in fact, I only discovered there were pants when doing internet research for this post) but they are available online at Saks. They are flat front as well, but with regular back welt pockets. They come with a standard inseam of about 33” and are priced right in the middle at $298.

All in all, I was very pleasantly surprised by this group. I brought it into the fitting room more as a novelty, not expecting to like anything about it, but the quality, fit, and fun (how can you not feel fun wearing hot pink?) completely won me over. While this style and color certainly is not for everyone, I would recommend any of these pieces either on their own or together as a colorful addition to your summer wardrobe.

The shorts could pair just as easily with a t-shirt as a woven or a knit. The jacket would make a great statement with jeans or even some linen pants. If you are comfortable with very bright colors, consider these pieces for your next summer soiree.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment