April 11, 2012

Inspiration: DSquared2 S/S 2012


When flipping through lookbooks last year of the Spring/Summer runway shows, I found a lot that I liked but not much that made a statement. Months later when I revisited them looking for source material for this post, I hit all the usual suspects without anything really popping for me.

I wanted something that was a bit different, that took a risk, and above all was fun and stylish. Then, when I saw everything I was looking for written down, one label immediately came to mind – Dsquared2! Their entire show was full of lighthearted fun (when was the last time gardening gloves came down the runway?) while still conveying a clear and wearable aesthetic.

I love the product that DSquared2 makes and, even though most of the time it doesn’t quite suit my style, I have put several clients in their clothes with fantastic results. I honed in on two looks that I felt would be well suited for showcasing how you can pull inspiration from the runway and adapt it to your current wardrobe.

Photos from DSquared2 S/S 2012 Lookbook

What I really focused on in these two looks was the varying pops of color that are infused into both of them. For my look, I modeled the styling off of the first image, but also drew inspiration from the color and feel in the second image.

Jacket and Boots by John Varvatos; Sweater by Ben Sherman;
Shirt by Vince; Denim by Juicy Couture; Socks by J Crew;
Scarf (women's) from Gap; Sunglasses by Alexander McQueen

Horizontal stripes are really in this year, particularly on sweaters, but I wanted to step it up a bit with a pink ombre-striped piece that I bought years ago. Another trend you will see a lot of is colored accents. While this is something that surfaces every year when winter ends, it is particularly prevalent for 2012. That’s why I wanted to double up the color with the purple scarf.

The jacket, denim, shirt, and boots have all been featured in various ways before, which shows how versatile some pieces can be when you have a well-edited wardrobe. The sweater is a good example of how pieces with classic styling, even with some modern elements thrown in, can still be on trend after a few years. Remember that there is a very big difference, and often a very fine line, between stylish and tacky. If you are unsure which category a particular piece falls into, it is likely the latter.

The best thing for me about shooting this post is that I rediscovered a great piece that hadn’t been worn for quite a while.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment