Pages

March 8, 2012

Favorite Finds: Skinny Cords


As regular readers know, I am a huge fan of AllSaints. A large portion of my wardrobe consists of their clothing and I am always on the lookout to expand it. I have been looking for a slim pair of corduroy pants in a deep red or purple since fall and have tried on numerous pairs, but with disappointing results. That is what brought me to AllSaints Spitalfields and their new Corduane Cigarette Pant.

One difficult thing about AllSaints is that there are so many fits, some of them quite irregular at times. These particular cords are in their Cigarette fit, which is a skinny fit (the slimmest that they make) that is meant to sit at your low hip. This fit only comes in one color, Oxblood, which is almost a merlot. They have other cords in the Iggy fit, which is a regular slim fit, in four colors but not the Oxblood.

I tried both the size 32 and size 34 and had some problems with each. The 32 were a little snug at the waist and very slim through the thigh. While certainly not too tight, they were much skinnier that I would be comfortable with on a daily basis with the amount of movement that I do.


With that in mind, I tried on the 34 to see if it would give me some extra room and it did. The fit through the thigh was perfect, but the waist was now far too big. As a result, the back pockets (which are situated rather low) took on a saggy appearance.


Unfortunately, the fit didn’t work out for me right now but there are some really great details that set these cords apart from others I have tried. It is a button fly and all of the buttons and rivets have a rust finish that blends in nicely with the color.


The back pockets feature the same ram skull stitch as many of their denim and it is an interesting touch as many 5 pocket-style cords have minimal, if any, back pocket detailing.


The pants are 14-wale cotton corduroy (the higher the number, the thinner the wale), so they are machine washable, tumble dry low, and warm iron. They are not able to be dry cleaned though, but that is not a problem for me because with softer fabrics, especially those with a nap, there is always a risk that dry cleaning could ruin the hand.

All told, these are a great pair of pants. At $120, the price is certainly reasonable. If I had a more stationary job or there was room in my closet to buy pants just for casual wear I would have owned these the day they came out. Unfortunately, they were not for me but like every AllSaints piece I have ever tried I would highly recommend it if the fit is right for you.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

1 comment: