March 21, 2012

Favorite Finds: Colored Chinos

Chinos are one of those classic pieces that never go out of style. Lately, designers have been giving them a modern makeover by slimming them down and infusing some color into a preppy staple. Colored chinos are everywhere, but a lot of what is out there doesn’t really have anything new to offer. While I was at AllSaints Spitalfields shooting the Skinny Cord favorite finds, I saw the Cannon Chino and decided to see how they stacked up.

They are labeled as ‘Skinny Fit’ so I was not optimistic based on how the Corduane Cigarette Pants fit, but was pleasantly surprised. I tried on a size 34 and they fit perfectly. The waist was comfortable and the legline was slim without being restrictive.


The pants are only offered in one length and are displayed both in store and online cuffed. While they could certainly be hemmed, I think this particular cut and silhouette works better with a rolled cuff (especially in a fun color).


There are some great details on this pant that sets it apart from other chinos that are on the market right now. While not exactly practical (for me at least), there is a small ticket pocket on the outside of the right front pocket. It is fairly deep, so it could ostensibly be of use at some point, but for me it is just a nice bit of styling.


Another really cool feature is that they have a button fly. I have never seen a button-fly chino before, though I am sure they exist, so this really caught my attention. It is very well designed and executed, so it is easy to use and not obtrusive (which happens far too often with button-fly denim).


While they definitely have that distinctive AllSaints look, this pair of pants is not overtly branded. There is a small tag above the back right pocket, and that is the extent of it. I appreciate that because, while I love the ram skull logo and the way in which different aspects of it show up in the designs, this understated label ensures that these great chinos are equally suited for either work or leisure.


These chinos are 100% cotton and are machine washable (with an asterisk required). The care instructions say to wash inside out, tumble dry low, and iron only on the reverse. They are also not able to be dry-cleaned. Another good example of why to always read the care instructions before buying and washing.

When it came down to it, I ended up going home with these pants because, at only $95, how could I not? They are offered in five colors: Sky Blue, Vintage Blue, Olive, Khaki, and Oxblood (pictured). Clearly I went with the Oxblood, but I am considering going back for the Sky Blue.

What favorite finds do you have this week?

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment