February 25, 2012

Favorite Finds: Mock Neck Cardigan


This edition of Favorite Finds features two things that I am a huge fan of all wrapped up in one great piece – Cardigans and Psycho Bunny.


This sweater is described on Pyscho Bunny’s website as a ‘Jardigan’ which is a term that I had never heard before. I definitely see where the name came from, as this is a hefty cardigan and even though the knit is a finer gauge, it is surprisingly thick and heavy. As a result, it could easily be worn in place of a jacket on a cool fall or spring day.


There is nothing particularly unexpected about the design, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I don’t see a need to reinvent the cardigan and that is not really what Psycho Bunny is about. What they do incredibly well is make high quality pieces that are infused with some fun.

I tried on a Medium and it fit perfectly. I was only wearing a thin woven, but I don’t think I would need to layer anything more underneath. The ribbed cuffs, collar, and waist allow for a snug fit with room for movement and while some mock necks can feel restrictive, this one was anything but.


It is made from 100% merino wool, but unlike the Varsity Wool that I previously featured, it is incredibly smooth and soft. I find the combination of button and zip closures in the front to be a really nice feature.


The details are simple and understated, such as the engraved buttons and sturdy, smooth double zipper. Many people may overlook the zipper, but I have worked with so many zippers that are flimsy, poor quality, or just frustrating to actually zip up. It also comes with extra buttons in case you lose one, which not all cardigans do, so that is a nice bonus.


Interestingly enough, my only problem with this sweater is the lack of branding (something that is normally a good thing, but let me explain). Psycho Bunny has two primary logos that they work with – the Anglo American Flag and the Psycho Bunny - but neither of them appear anywhere on the outside of the piece.

One of the many reasons that I love Psycho Bunny is the logos, because they are fun, colorful, quirky, and add a bit of whimsy into otherwise traditional pieces. The logos can be found on nearly every other piece that they make, so to not have one on this was just a bit of a disappointment, but not a dealbreaker.


What really sets this piece apart for me is the quality construction, impeccable fit, and attention to detail. While $295 may seem a bit steep for some, I think this ‘jardigan’ is definitely worth its price tag.

What are some of your favorite finds so far this season?

Stay stylish,
-JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment