Pages

January 13, 2012

Style Feature: The Chunky Sweater


For me, a chunky sweater is one of the most versatile pieces you can own. A good chunky knit can take you from fall all the way through to spring and there are countless ways that you can layer it for a wide range of temperatures.

There are dozens of styles and even more combinations of fabric contents, so it is easy to find one that suits your style and price point. I only have two pieces in my wardrobe but I have yet to find myself needing a third, because if you buy carefully the possibilities are endless.

1. Shawl Collar Cardigan

Sweater by John Varvatos Star USA; Shirt by Charles Tyrwhitt;
Trousers by Express Studio; Shoes by Allen Edmonds; Socks by Corgi;
Bowtie by The Men's Store at Bloomingdale's.
I love this sweater and, even though it is an acrylic/wool blend, it is one of the warmest pieces of clothing that I own. The tight knit keeps the cold and wind out surprisingly well. So much so that after this shoot, I kept it on for the rest of the day even though my wool coat was stuffed in a bag and it was below 40 degrees.

Sweater by John Varvatos Star USA; Shirt by Vince;
Denim by AllSaints Spitalfields; Boots by AllSaints Spitalfields;
Undershirt by Emporio Armani.
The shawl collar makes this piece feel a little more casual than a regular cardigan might – perfect for just kicking around the house and relaxing in front of the fireplace – but easily dressed up for a day around the city.
                                                         

2. Button Mock Neck

Sweater by SQ; Down vest by Uniqlo; Shirt by Gant Rugger;
Chinos by PPD; Sneakers by Paul Smith Jeans.
This was actually the first sweater I bought after moving back up north from Miami back in 2005 and it has definitely served me well.

Sweater by SQ; Shirt by J Crew; Pants by Marc by Marc Jacobs;
Boots by John Varvatos.
The cable knit detailing is classic with roots going back to early 20th century Ireland and the high mock neck provides added protection without the need for a scarf (though there have definitely been some windy days where I’ve used one).


As I hope you can see, the right pieces can take you from day to night, city to country, and everywhere in between.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment