Pages

January 19, 2012

Quick Tip: Slimming Down Your Wallet


The type of wallet a man carries is often a very personal decision. Many carry the same kind that their father did, sometimes even the same one. Others change wallets every time a new trend hits and the popular style or color changes. I feel that, even more so than your clothes, a wallet should be an investment because with proper care a quality wallet can last for decades. That said, you could have the best quality wallet and keep it in the nicest perfectly tailored pants, but that doesn’t matter if the wallet is bulging out of your pocket and making even the best stitched seams work to stay together.

I used to be guilty of just this, with a large leather bifold packed with every credit card, store card, membership card, and ID card I owned (not to mention whatever cash I happened to have). Not only would it barely fit in my pocket, but it was also literally and figuratively a pain in the ass to carry around.

Wallet by Club Room

This particular wallet had a removable ID case which I would take with me when I would go out to clubs or concerts to just be able to carry my ID, debit card, and some cash. Eventually I found a slim bifold for just this purpose, but week after week of switching things back and forth finally made me realize that I didn’t need to carry all those extraneous cards. I rarely found myself needing most of them on the spur of the moment, so there was no reason for them to always live in my wallet.

It was then that I switched full-time to this slim wallet and never looked back (though I do still keep the old one in my dresser for storage purposes). This forced me to really figure out what I needed and what I didn’t. I removed the credit cards that I didn’t use and switched all of my store rewards cards to the little keychain versions (even my library card). Every department store that I have a credit card from is able to look up the account with only my driver’s license and SSN, so they got the boot too.

Wallet by Burberry

Alternately, depending one what kind of phone you have, you may be able to lose the keychain cards too. Try using one of the many apps to store all those store barcodes, and thin down everything you carry in your pockets. Slim wallets have really established themselves over the last few years, and now you are likely to find as many (if not more) slim options than regular ones, so take a look around and see what’s out there.

This purging of the contents of my wallet also allowed me to move it permanently to my front pocket (something I started doing while visiting Key West on the advice that it would help protect it from pickpockets). This freed up my back pocket for my handkerchief, which I now never leave home without.

Club Room (L); Burberry (R)

The only drawback that I have encountered with this wallet is that its size severely limits the amount of cash that I can carry. This is usually fine with me because I don’t like to carry cash, but for those times that I need to, I picked up a basic money clip with a little bit of color. I am still on the lookout for the perfect clip for me, but there are dozens of options out there in many styles, metals, and colors to find the one that is right for you.

Money clip by Link Up

It also may go without saying, but avoid velcro wallets. I’ve seen a few designers beginning to offer color-popped velcro wallets with a retro feel, but unless you want an entire store to glance your way every time you go to pay for something, I’d recommend sticking with something a little subtler.

What kind of wallet do you carry?

Stay stylish,
- JJ

2 comments:

  1. Wallets are not just an accessory for men anymore; it has become an integral part of wardrobe for every man today. For buying the perfect wallet for yourself, you need to know how to buy one because you don’t only carry money in your wallet; you carry your style too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Your personal style is not just your clothes, it extends to your accessories as well.

      Delete