Pages

January 6, 2012

Quick Tip: Cold-Weather Skin Care

Coming off the two coldest days we have had in NYC this season I wanted to share some tips on cold-weather skin care.

Handling clothing all day can really take a toll on my hands, especially in the winter, and when I am working closely with clients, the last thing I want is dry, cracked hands. I have always had a hard time finding hand lotion because everything I have tried in the past leaves my hands feeling greasy (be that real or perceived), which bothers me both personally and professionally. As a result I usually have the urge to wash my hands (which only further dries them out).

After trying literally dozens of hand lotions, I finally found one that is perfect for me. I got Jack Black’s Industrial Strength Hand Healer for Xmas and even though it has only been two weeks, I can already feel a difference. It has a satin finish that absorbs well without the greasy feeling and it lasts for a long time (though I apply frequently to stay ahead of the weather).


Now the most commonly used skin care product for most people during the winter months is lip balm. For years I was a dedicated Chapstik user, until I tried Burt’s Bees lip balm. It is a bit waxier, which I can only assume is a result of the bee’s wax, so it doesn’t need to be reapplied as often. My go-to is the Pomegranate (as evidenced by the well worn tube in the picture below), but every one that I have tried has been great.

If for some reason I run out or forget the Burt’s Bees, my backups are Jack Black’s Intense Therapy Lip Balm or Kiehl’s Facial Fuel No-Shine Lip Balm. Both of these are much more expensive than the $3 Burt’s Bees (at $7.50 and $9 respectively) and need more applications, but are definitely worth the money if your lips need some serious attention (and you find yourself trapped in a Bloomingdales without any lip balm – trust me it can happen).


Lastly, I wanted to talk about facial moisturizers. As the part of your body that is most exposed to the elements and the one that gets the most attention, your face shouldn’t be overlooked. I have tried several different brands over the years and am still trying to find the perfect one, but I have settled for quite a while now on the Zirh Protect Daily Moisturizer. It is made for normal to oily skin and has a satin feel that does not leave me feeling like I have lotion on my face.


I know many guys who refuse to use any products because they feel that it isn't masculine to use lip balm or moisturizer. What I tell them is that taking care of your skin will allow you to make the best possible impression, whatever the weather, because cracking skin and chapped lips is never a good look. It may seem a little awkward at first, but once it is part of your routine you won't regret it.

What products work for you?

Stay stylish (and moisturized),
- JJ

2 comments:

  1. Did you try Geo. Trumper coconut oil shaving cream? It's the ONLY product I ever found that doesn't irritate my skin. Amazing product and lasts forever.

    For dry skin on hands, I'm surprised you didn't even mention Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve. Again, the best I've found, and I'm prone to drying skin, especially during NYC winters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried any Geo. Trumper products or the Kiehl's Hand Salve. For shave products I have had luck with the Art of Shaving line, particularly the new Ocean Kelp products and the Ingrown Hair Night Cream. I'll definitely give the Kiehl's a try next time I run out of hand lotion though.

    Thanks for the recommendations!

    -JJ

    ReplyDelete