January 29, 2012

Favorite Finds: Resort Woven


Though it seems strange to already see swimwear hitting the shelves when winter weather hasn’t really arrived yet, resort collections are here nonetheless. For this installment of Favorite Finds, I returned to the Marc by Marc Jacobs resort collection that the Varsity Wool came from.


As I have mentioned in the past, I am a big fan of Marc Jacobs’ various lines. What I have noticed recently though is that a lot of the woven offerings are ‘Shrunken Fit’ which is akin to a slim or tailored cut. The Noah Plaid shirt is no exception, which can make it a bit difficult to find the right fit.

I am usually an off-the-rack medium, and all of the MbyMJ shirts that I own are mediums. However, the Shrunken Fit wass a bit too tight across the chest for me and as a result, puckered a little between the 2nd and 3rd buttons if I did anything other than stand straight. 

I tried on the large to see if it would give me a little more room, but it was way too big in the shoulders. Additionally, the sleeves (which were more than generous on the medium) were far too long on the large.


Like all of the pieces I have tried from Marc by Marc Jacobs, there are a multitude of little details that help to set this woven apart. The cuff features a small ‘M.J.’ monogram and the darker buttons are branded around the edge and provide a nice contrast to the lighter shirt and help bring out the grey in the plaid.


This lightweight cotton woven would be the perfect shirt to take a look from day to night. The plaid is light and subtle, albeit a bit busy, and the covered placket is a nice touch to make the shirt a little more versatile. Despite being covered, the placket buttons are also branded which is a nice feature in case you want to wear the shirt unbuttoned a bit or open over a tee.


The price, $188, is at the higher end of the price range for a Marc by Marc Jacobs woven, but the quality seems nice and it is 100% cotton. If you are someone that fits well in his Shrunken Fit, I would definitely recommend this shirt as a good addition for those warm months or hot trips.

Personally, since I rarely vacation during the winter months (and if I do it is not to the tropics), I view resort collections as a perfect opportunity to get a jump on my summer wardrobe. Many of the colors and fabrics that you will find in resort collections are very similar to those for summer. As a result, when resort collections go on clearance in March, you can often snag a great piece for not a lot of money.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment