December 31, 2011

Year in Review: 2011


As the year comes to an end, I wanted to take a look back at my posts and share my top five favorite looks since I started this blog back in August.

Also, based on the feedback I have been getting, I am excited to introduce two new features for 2012. In Review will share my thoughts and opinions on new books, articles, and features that pertain to the world of men’s style and fashion that I find interesting. Favorite Finds will be a regular post featuring pieces that are currently in stores and covering points such as fit, price, quality, and perceived value.


Shirt by Allsaints Spitalfields; Jeans by Juicy Couture Mens (now defunct);
Shoes by Ted Baker; Sunglasses by Alexander McQueen; Watch by Bulova.

This was from the first shoot that I did for this blog back in July and it is still one of my favorites. It was completely unplanned because I was in Union Square shopping and, after putting off the first shoot for a week and a half, decided to just go for it.

If you are a regular reader, you know that I have a particular affinity for AllSaints Spitalfields and I knew I wanted to wear them in my first shoot. I chose this look as the first one I would feature (and my profile pic for quite a while) because it embodies the aesthetic that I want this blog to convey. Style, quality, and proper fit can carry through from a black tie event to ripped jeans on a hot summer day.


Pocket square by Thomas Pink; Vest by Ted Baker; Shirt by Nigel Hall;
Pants by Marc by Marc Jacobs; Sneakers by Paul Smith Jeans;
Tie by Alexander McQueen; Belt by Fossil; Eyeglasses by Dolce & Gabbana.

The main reason that this particular photo made my list is because of the composition. Don’t get me wrong, I love the look (it wouldn’t have made the blog otherwise), but the way the planter box and the winter sunlight play off of the deep blues and purples in the outfit really bring it all together.


Overcoat by John Varvatos; Shirt by Vince; Henley by AllSaints Spitalfields;
Denim by AllSaints Spitalfields; Boots by Altama; Scarf by Burberry;
Camp socks from J Crew; Fingerless gloves from the Men's Store at Bloomingdale's;
Belt by American Rag; Sunglasses by Alexander McQueen.

This look made my list because it is the first time I have styled for myself based solely on an inspiration board (in this case the Balmain lookbook). It challenged me to step outside of how I would normally style a look for this blog and taught me a new way to wear a woven in the process.


I am a huge proponent of layering, so it’s no surprise that two of my favorite looks came from this post.

Peacoat by INC; Blazer by Costume National; Sweater by The Men's Store
at Bloomingdale's; Shirt by 1 Like No Other; Pants  by Marc by Marc Jacobs;
Boots by John Varvatos; Tie by Ben Sherman; Scarf by John Varvatos;
Gloves by Isotoner; Sunglasses by Prada.

I like this look because the outfit is casual, but tuck in the shirt and put the pants over the boots and you are ready for a nice dinner out. I also really like the composition of the photo and way the color of the door in the background makes the teal in the tie pop.

Wool trench by French Connection; Blazer by Ted Baker; Vest by Umit Benan;
Shirt by Hawes & Curtis; Trousers by Fink Clothing; Shoes by Ted Baker;
Tie by Robert Godley; Pocket square by Thomas Pink; Belt by Lacoste;
Scarf by Burberry; Gloves by French Connection; Eyeglasses by Dolce & Gabbana.

This is my absolute favorite look. It was actually not the one that I was going to shoot for the vest section of this post. I had worn it to a theatre company gala several days prior and liked the way all of the colors worked together so much that I shot it for the blog.

As always, I really enjoy hearing from you as The Shy Stylist continues to evolve and grow. Leave a comment or send me an email at shystylistblog@gmail.com with any questions, comments, or even things you might like to see featured in the future.

Stay stylish in the new year!
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment