Pages

October 23, 2011

Reader Question: Dressing for Fall

Hi,

I just moved to Philadelphia and I’m not used to having seasons. Do you have any suggestions for jackets to get me through until winter? I usually dress a little more casual so I don’t usually wear blazers, but I want something more stylish than just a sweatshirt. Also, I just finished college so I don’t have much money to spend. Thanks for anything you can steer me towards.

Mark

--

Hi Mark,

Fall is actually one of my favorite seasons because I am more than a little obsessed with jackets and blazers (they take up a disproportionate chunk of my closets) and this is the best time of year for layering up. A lightweight duffel coat or shorter trench is always a good option, and the benefit of a trench is that it has the versatility to be dressed up or down depending on the situation. You could also go with a light-weight down vest. While not my style, they are very on trend right now and I know a lot of people who pull them off really well.

As far as recommendations, If you haven’t noticed already I am a huge fan of AllSaints Spitalfields. Their aesthetic is really cool, their pieces work really well together, and their prices are quite reasonable for the quality. If you are looking to test the water with sport jackets, they have some nicely tailored jackets that are also really casual because of the slight deconstruction and fabric treatments. I would recommend the Chase or Ballast jackets as a good place to start. If you aren’t quite ready for a sport jacket yet, the Loures and Quarrell jackets are good alternatives depending on which style strikes you. Both are cotton and have the style of a winter coat without the bulk.

Uniqlo also has some solid options – check out their double-breasted trench and wool hooded half coat. J Crew is another really great place for affordable style and they have more than I can list.

The best advice that I can give you is to shop around and try things on. You want to be able to layer a light sweater underneath your jacket, but you shouldn’t have too much extra room or you run the risk of looking sloppy. Good luck with your hunt for a jacket, and keep checking back because I have a post coming up in a few weeks on the Fall Jacket.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment