August 29, 2011

Quick Tip: Linking it Together

Dressing for the corporate world can sometimes get a bit boring. What better way to infuse some fun and personality into a dress shirt than cufflinks?

1. Classic with a Twist

These caught my eye because they are unique but understated. I enjoy the playfulness of the cufflink-as-button.

Cufflinks by Burberry; Shirt by Hawes & Curtis; Jacket by Ted Baker;
Tie by Psycho Bunny.
2. A Simple Touch

These gunmetal cufflinks are probably my most worn pair. They are simple, not too big, and as it turns out most of my tie bars are gunmetal as well. Remember, always match your metals. More on that in a future post.

Cufflinks by Kenneth Cole Reaction; Shirt  by Brooks Brothers;
Jacket by Christian Dior (vintage).
3. A Splash of Color

These cufflinks add a pop of color and some whimsy to an outfit. I generally wear them with a more casual suit, but have worn them with a black suit and white shirt to sneak a little bit of fun into a more corporate look.

Cufflinks by Psycho Bunny; Shirt by BOSS Hugo Boss; Jacket by Lanvin;
Tie by Christian Dior (vintage); Tie bar by Kenneth Cole New York.
4. Vintage

Some of my favorite cufflinks are vintage pieces that were either inherited or came from a vintage store. There are some really good finds out there, you just have to sift through piles and piles of tacky cufflinks from the 70’s. Don’t worry though, your persistence will eventually pay off.

Vintage cufflinks (inherited from my grandfather); Shirt by Ben Sherman;
Jacket by Brooks Brothers.
There are more types and styles of cufflinks than I could ever begin to list. My best advice is to shop around and find the ones that suit your personal style and the image you want to convey.

As always, thanks for reading. Next up is Part 2 in my Art of Fit series on the casual shirt.

Stay stylish,
- JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment